LENTILS AND SPINACH
This is my own adaptation of an Indian recipe. It doesn't look like much, but it is surprisingly yummy. Serve this for dinner over hot rice or a diced baked potato. Pair with carrots, cauliflower, or a fresh sliced tomato for a full meal.
Provided by bobawood
Number Of Ingredients 10
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 white onions, halved and sliced into 1/2 rings
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Heat oil in a heavy pan over medium heat. Saute onion for 10 minutes or so, until it begins to turn golden. Add minced garlic and saute for another minute or so.
- Add lentils and water to the saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, lower heat, and simmer about 35 minutes, until lentils are soft ( this may take less time, depending on your water and the lentils).
- Meanwhile cook the spinach in microwave according to package directions. Add spinach, salt and cumin to the saucepan. Cover and simmer until all is heated, about ten minutes. Grind in plenty of pepper and press in extra garlic to taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 165.3 calories, Carbohydrate 24 g, Fat 4.3 g, Fiber 10.4 g, Protein 9.7 g, SaturatedFat 0.5 g, Sodium 639.1 mg, Sugar 3.3 g
BRAISED LENTILS WITH SPINACH
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 2 small onions, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed and diced (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups finely shredded fresh spinach, thoroughly washed and drained
- Pour enough cold water over the lentils, onions, carrots, celery, and bay leaves in a 3-quart saucepan to cover by three fingers. Season with salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Adjust the heat so the water is at a gentle boil and cook until the lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain the lentils, discard the bay leaves, and transfer to a large skillet.
- Pour in the chicken stock and olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid is reduced enough to coat the lentils, about 3 minutes. Scatter the spinach over the lentils and toss just until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary. Serve immediately.
Learn how to make french toast sticks with this quick and easy recipe. I like to have them handy in the freezer for a hearty breakfast in an instant. They're...
Provided by Taste of Home
Provided by Happy Harry 2
Fried green tomatoes made healthier thanks to the air fryer.
Provided by Soup Loving Nicole
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Make and share this Chili-Lemon Butter recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Millereg
Provided by Jennifer J
If you're not frying your green tomatoes in bacon grease then you have lost half of the great flavor! No self-respecting Southerner fries their green tomatoes...
Provided by BONO1
Use this dough to make Old Vienna Apple Strudel.
Provided by Martha Stewart
I submitted this recipe in answer to a request. I have not tried it. It is from "A World of Breads" by Dolores Casella
Provided by Donna M.
Provided by Ree Drummond : Food Network
I found this recipe on the back of the San Giorgio jumbo shells box. I've tried a lot of other stuffed shells recipes but I always come back to this one....
Provided by DragonIady
This version of the classic is easy to make while remaining authentic and true to the original. This may be the fastest yeast bread you make; it takes...
Provided by MICHAELGLASSCOOK
This well-seasoned yeast bread adds an attractive accent to any Italian meal...and the aroma while it's baking is scrumptious. The wedges also go great...
Provided by Taste of Home
I have not tried this recipe. I got this recipe from Holidays Of The World Cookbook For Students. This is a American recipe. I plan to use Splenda for...
Provided by internetnut
These are just like the shortbread and jam cookies you know, but with the taste of peanut butter and grape jelly.
Provided by Christine Thomas Boss
Dried cranberries and mandarin oranges add sweetness to this green salad sent in by Sandra Lashua of Henderson, Nevada. It's loaded with other goodies,...
Provided by Taste of Home
Provided by Damaris Phillips
Does it get any easier than this? It's rum and a cola beverage with a splash of lime.
Provided by c-biskit
Make and share this Great Pumpkin Dessert recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Karen
Make and share this Green Chile-Pimiento Cheese recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Juenessa
More about "braised lentils with spinach food"
BRAISED PUY LENTILS RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
5/5 (2)Category Puy Lentil RecipesCuisine British RecipesCalories 187 per serving
- Heat the olive oil in a wide saucepan over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until the onion is beginning to soften.
- Stir in the lentils, so they’re coated in the oil and cooking juices, then add the thyme sprigs and hot stock. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the lentils are tender but still holding their shape, and the stock is absorbed. Add a dash of boiling water if
- Stir the lemon juice and a good slug of extra-virgin olive oil into the lentils and adjust the seasoning. Serve with the sausages, either hot, warm or at room temperature.
BRAISED BLACK LENTILS RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Ratings 58Calories 500 per servingCategory Side Dish, Beans And Peas
- Melt butter in olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Cook and stir onion, carrot, celery, and salt until vegetables are softened and onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add thyme sprigs and pepper. Stir in lentils until well coated. Add chicken stock and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, checking occasionally, until the lentils are tender and have absorbed all the liquid, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat and discard thyme stems. Stir in champagne vinegar and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
RED WINE BRAISED LENTILS WITH SPINACH & PEARL ONIONS ...
4.8/5 (6)Total Time 1 hrCategory Main Course, SoupCalories 205 per serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Sauté 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Stir in wine, water, mustard, lentils, bay leaf, sea salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Simmer partially covered for 30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
BRAISED LENTILS WITH CIPOLLINI ONIONS RECIPE - FOOD …
Servings 6-8Category Side-DishAuthor Alex GuarnaschelliDifficulty Easy
- Coat a large high-sided sauté pan over medium-high heat with the olive oil. Add the lentils, garlic cloves and bay leaves with 4 cups water or just enough to cover. Bring the water to a simmer and lower the heat. Simmer the lentils, uncovered, until they are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. (If you need to add water for the lentils to finish cooking, add a little at a time —there will be more flavor in the lentils if you cook them and end up with very little liquid at the end of the process.)
- Once the lentils are cooked but still somewhat al dente, set them aside to cool. Remove and discard the garlic cloves and the bay leaves. Season with just a touch of salt and pepper to taste. Retaste, but hold off on reseasoning until serving.
- Add the duck fat to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions, season with salt to taste and allow them to caramelize, about 5 minutes per side.
- When you are ready to serve, add the lentils to the sautéed cipollini onions. Stir to coat the lentils with the duck fat. Taste and season with salt, if needed, and stir in the vinegar to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl.
SIMPLE BRAISED FRENCH LENTIL RECIPE | FEASTING AT HOME
5/5 (22)Calories 177 per servingCategory Legumes
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrots and stir 4-5 minutes, then turn heat down to medium. Cook 4-5 more minutes and add the garlic and lentils. Cook 2 minutes stirring.
- Pour in the stock, salt, and mustard and stir until combined and bring to a good simmer. Add the bay leaves and thyme sprigs, cover and gently simmer on low heat 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- When the lentils are tender, uncover and cook off any extra liquid ( or feel free to drain). Remove the thyme sprigs, taste and adjust salt. A tiny little splash of red wine vinegar livens them up.
BRAISED LENTILS WITH SPINACH | COOK FOR YOUR LIFE
4/5 (7)Estimated Reading Time 2 minsCategory MainsCalories 1797 per serving
- Put the lentils, onions, carrots, celery, and bay leaves into a 3-quart saucepan. Pour enough cold water over to cover by 2-inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and bring to a gentle boil. Add ½ teaspoon salt.
- Cook until the lentils are just tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain the lentils, discard the bay leaves, and transfer to a large skillet.
- Pour in the chicken stock and olive oil. Stir to mix. Taste for salt and season lightly with salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil and cook until the liquid has reduced, about 3 minutes.
- Scatter the spinach over the lentils and toss just until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve immediately.
BRAISED LENTILS AND VEGETABLES | CAFE JOHNSONIA
4.8/5 (5)Category Main, SideCuisine FrenchTotal Time 1 hr 5 mins See details »
RECIPE: BRAISED BELUGA LENTILS WITH KALE & ROSEMARY - …
4/5 (157)Servings 2Cuisine FrenchCalories 650 per serving See details »
BRAISED LENTIL STEW | SALADMASTER RECIPES
See details »
BRAISED LENTILS WITH ONIONS AND SPINACH RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Servings 6Calories 377 per serving
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven, and sauté carrot and shallots for 5 minutes. Add wine and scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add lentils and onion to the pot along with broth, salt, pepper, and thyme, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover tightly. Cook for 35 minutes, stirring twice, until lentils are tender and liquid is almost evaporated. Stir in vinegar and spinach, and simmer uncovered for 5 more minutes, until liquid reduces slightly and spinach wilts. Sprinkle with crumbled feta and serve.
LAMB WITH BRAISED LENTILS RECIPE - FOOD.COM
4/5 (1)Total Time 50 minsCategory Lamb/SheepCalories 255 per serving
- Mix together the lemon rind, rosemary, sage and garlic and rub over the lamb steaks, then squeeze the lemon juice over the lamb steaks.
- Heat a large non-stick pan until hot and, over a medium-high heat, add the lamb steaks (and some of the lemon juice that has dripped off them when you transferred them to the pan) and fry for 1 minute on each side.
- Add the bacon, onions, carrot and celery to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes or until they are beginning to soften.
HEALTHY BRAISED LENTILS WITH KALE RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK ...
Servings 4Category Main-DishAuthor Stephanie Alleyne for Food Network KitchenDifficulty Easy
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a 6-quart pot with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, fennel and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in the rosemary and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until very fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and their juices, broth, lentils and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring just to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are just tender, about 30 minutes. There will be a good amount of broth left in the pot, which is fine. Turn off heat and stir in the kale and 3 tablespoons of the parsley until the kale is just wilted. Divide the lentil mixture among 4 large bowls and set aside while frying the eggs.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in large nonstick skillet. Crack the eggs into the skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper; fry 2 minutes for sunny-side up, or longer if firmer yolks are desired. Top each serving of lentils with a fried egg and sprinkle with the remaining parsley.
BRAISED LENTILS - UNLOCK FOOD
Garlic, minced 4 clovesOlive oil 1 Tbsp (15 mL)Lentils, drained and rinsed 1 can (540 mL)Salt 1/4 tsp (1 mL) See details »
HALIBUT WITH BRAISED LENTILS AND LEMON BUTTER SAUCE
Servings 4Total Time 2 hrsEstimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
BRAISED LENTILS WITH CIPOLLINI ONIONS : RECIPES : COOKING ...
Category Side-DishTotal Time 50 mins See details »
MOB — BRAISED LENTILS WITH FENNEL, SAUSAGE AND SALSA VERDE
Cuisine ItalianTotal Time 45 minsCategory Dinner Party, Comfort See details »
BRAISED LENTILS WITH BLOOD SAUSAGE RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
Servings 4Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCholesterol 120 mgCalories 704 per serving See details »
BRAISED LENTILS RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
3.4/5 (44)Servings 4 See details »
BUTTERED CABBAGE WITH BRAISED LENTILS | METRO
4/5 (3)Total Time 1 hr 55 minsServings 4 See details »
LENTILS BRAISED IN RED WINE | NIGELLA'S RECIPES | NIGELLA ...
Servings 8 See details »
LENTIL RECIPES | COOK FOR YOUR LIFE
See details »
BRAISED LENTILS WITH ONIONS AND SPINACH RECIPE - FOOD.COM
See details »
BRAISED LENTILS – NICK STELLINO
See details »
BRAISED VEGETABLE RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
See details »
LENTILS WITH SPINACH
See details »
BRAISED LENTILS WITH SPINACH RECIPES
See details »